Dialectical behavioural therapy (DBT) is an evidence-based approach closely related to cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). DBT focuses on emotional regulation, acceptance and change, mindfulness, and being present in the moment. DBT was initially developed to help treat borderline personality disorder however it was soon proven to be effective for other concerns such as addiction, eating disorders, self-harm, post traumatic stress disorder, depression, and anxiety to name a few.
When is Dialectical Behavioural Therapy right for you?
Visiting a Toronto DBT therapist may be helpful for you if you experience:
- Feelings of emptiness or hopelessness
- Intense emotions and difficulties managing them
- Your relationships feel like roller coasters
- Negative coping strategies and outlets such as substance use
- Self-harm and/or suicidal thoughts
Dialectical behavioural therapy can be incorporated in group settings or individual psychotherapy sessions. As a certified DBT psychotherapist, treatment goals and emotional regulation skills are incorporated in the first session with a client along with introducing radical acceptance and balancing it with positive change.
What are the benefits of Dialectical Behavioural Therapy?
DBT can teach you how to:
- Accept your life circumstances and make positive changes
- Replace destructive behavioural patterns with healthier solutions
- Observe and challenge negative thoughts
- Regulate emotions
- Communicate effectively
- Develop healthy coping skills
If you think dialectical behavioural therapy may be a good fit for you, please do not hesitate to contact Marta Leskiv Psychotherapy for an assessment! For more resources, visit here.